What is Cannabutter?
Also, known as cannabis-infused butter, cannabutter is a commonly used ingredient for making edibles. Cannabutter is used in place of regular butter or other fats when creating cannabis-infused foods like weed brownies, cookies, and more.
Why use Cannabutter?
Butter is one of the best mediums for cannabis infusion because it is delicious and versatile. THC is fat-soluble, meaning THC needs to be bound to fat molecules which makes butter the perfect THC vehicle. Butter is commonly used and as such, cannabutter can be used as a substitute for a fun and discrete way to consume cannabis. Cannabutter is also easy to make and can be found in many local weed dispensaries.
How to Make Cannabutter
-Container for finished cannabutter
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup water
1 cup ground cannabis (7-10 grams), decarboxylated
1) Decarb your weed. Preheat the oven to 245 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and place your cannabis on it. Heat in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Gently toss the buds every 10-15 minutes for even baking. This may take less time if your buds are older and drier.
2) Grind or break up the cannabis. Grinding your buds is recommended as this will provide buds that are of the same consistency. Be careful to not grind your cannabis into a fine powder because small pieces will sneak through your strainer and end up in your final product.
3) Melt the butter. Place your saucepan on low heat and melt your butter. Add your cup of water while melting the butter. This will assist in regulating the temperature and will keep your butter from burning.
4) Add your cannabis. After the butter has completely melted, add in your decarbed and ground cannabis.
5) Simmer. Keep the saucepan on low heat (ideally between 160-200 degrees F). Simmer for 2-3 hours, while stirring occasionally. Avoid temperatures above 200 degrees F as it may burn out the cannabinoids and make sure the mixture never comes to a full boil.
6) Strain your mixture. Place a strainer over a jar and pour the mixture through it. Throw out the leftover plant material.
7) Refrigerate. Place your container of butter in a fridge and let it solidify overnight. If you notice excess water, drain it out.
Cannabutter is a fantastic cannabis product and can be bought from many local weed dispensaries or weed delivery services, but to get cannabutter that perfectly suits your tastebuds, you may need to make your own. The process is fairly simple and straightforward, so give it a go!